Aprilia Scarabeo 200, 2011
The new 200 conserves all the usual classic and modern style emblems, decisive features and smooth lines in an instantly harmonious continuity. Once again Scarabeo has redefined urban scooter design. Yet in a world of throw-away fashions, Scarabeo’s reassuring lines are a welcome constant. With one-in-a-million looks, Scarabeo lets you live the city in true elegance. The 200 lives up to its reputation of authentic trend setter. The 200 embodies pure Scarabeo style, free from excess and with nothing out of place. Only Scarabeo could achieve such perfection. Small enough to nip through the most chaotic traffic, Scarabeo also offers advanced ergonomics and unrivalled functionality to ensure that you always ride in comfort and style.
THE DETAILS THAT COUNT
A flat platform provides greater space for load carrying. A windshield fixed to the steering head deviates air flow over the rider, guaranteeing turbulence-free travel even at high speed. Generous analog-digital instrumentation includes an on-board computer with handlebar controls: the system’s many functions include outside air temperature display with ice warning. Even the centre stand has been carefully designed to afford the best possible leverage, so that lifting your Scarabeo on to it stand is a piece of cake. The aluminium luggage rack provides the perfect surface for fitting a top box. And the intelligent use of chrome, plus direction indicators integrated in the handlebars, and many other clever details, make Scarabeo totally unique.
As with everything else on the Scarabeo 200, the engine is brand new, and designed by Aprilia specially for Scarabeo. These advanced, lightweight, rational and clean running engines combine excellent performance with miserly consumption, are almost vibration-free in use and boast ultra-low emissions, in keeping with Scarabeo’s environmentally friendly philosophy. This single cylinder four stroke engine delivers fun, safety and comfort. It is liquid cooled with four valve, double overhead cam cylinder heads, used for the first time on an Aprilia scooter of this size. By optimizing valve timing, this technical solution, typical of high performance engines, succeeds in combining high power with low emissions. No wonder the Scarabeo 200 boasts the highest performance of any scooter of its class. The 200 version delivers an impressive 14 kW (19 HP) at 8250 rpm, with generous torque (17 Nm at 7500 rpm), for sporty yet relaxing acceleration and excellent active security under all riding conditions. In keeping with the original design concept, the engine is fuelled by a modern Keihin carburettor for simple, trouble-free use. A catalytic converter is fitted to ensure cleaner exhaust emissions and bring Scarabeo 200 within the limits of EURO 3 legislation. Particularly low fuel consumption plus a generous 8 litre fuel tank, combine to give more than enough autonomy for a week’s urban commuting.
American MSRP: $3,499 USD
- Fuel: Lead free petrol.
- Bore x Stroke: Bore and stroke 63 x 58 mm
- Total displacement: 180.8 cc
- Compression ratio: 12:1
- Maximum power at the crank: 19 HP at 8250 rpm
- Maximum torque at the crank: 17 Nm at 7500 rpm
- Fuel system: Keihin carburettor, Ø29 mm.
- Ignition: CDI electronic with automatic advance and retard.
- Starting: Electric starter.
- Lubrification: Wet sump, forced circulation with mechanical pump.
- Gear box: Automatic variator.
- Clutch: Automatic centrifugal.
- Primary drive: V belt.
- Final drive: Gearbox.
- Frame: Open cradle frame in high strength steel.
- Front suspension: 35 mm hydraulic fork
- Rear suspension: Engine acting as swingarm; two hydraulic shock absorbers with adjustable spring preload.
- Brakes: Front: Ø 260 mm stainless steel disc with floating three-piston caliper. Integral braking system. Rear: Ø 220 mm stainless steel disc with two-piston caliper. Integral braking system.
- Wheels: Light alloy, six spoke. Front: 2.5 x 16" Rear: 3 x 16"
- Tyres: Tubeless. Front: 110/80 x 16" Rear: 120/80 x 16"
- Dimensions: Overall length 80.31 in. Overall width 28.34 in. Wheelbase 54.76 in. Seat height 31.88 in.
- Fuel tank capacity: Capacity 2.11 gal (including reserve of .52 gals.)
- Other: Colour schemes: Lead grey, Shine red