Can-Am Spyder RS, 2012
Features and Benefits
Vehicle Stability System
The Y architecture of the Can-Am roadster allows it to host an innovative and unique stability system. Developed in partnership
with BOSCH† and inspired by automotive technologies, the system integrates ABS, traction control and stability control functions for an incredibly confident ride.
STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM
The stability control assesses your intended direction via the handlebar and determines the vehicle’s appropriate response. The system individually brakes the wheels and/or reduces excess engine torque until control is regained.
ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM
Sensors monitor the rotation of all three wheels. If any of the wheels is at risk of locking, ABS reduces brake pressure on it. This intervention repeats in rapid succession and can be performed independently on each wheel, allowing for maximum braking performance.
TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM
Whenever the Traction Control System detects excessive rear wheel spin (e.g., in slippery conditions), it reduces engine torque by regulating engine ignition and fuel injection. This enables the roadster to accelerate with minimal corrective input from the rider.
DYNAMIC POWER STEERING
The electronically controlled power steering system provides the rider with a varying assist when turning the handlebars. The amount of assistance varies with the speed of the vehicle to adjust the steering input effort to a comfortable level.
No clutch lever. No foot shifter. The Can-Am roadster’s semi-automatic 5-speed transmission uses convenient paddle shifting, a feature typically associated with sports cars. The paddle shift makes for faster, smoother shifting, which means you can get the adrenaline pumping as quickly as you please. Simply apply pressure with your left thumb to shift up and use your forefinger to downshift. It also features reverse for increased maneuverability.
Fluid motion stems from the smooth, 5-speed gearbox created specifically for the Can-Am roadster. It also features reverse for increased maneuverability.
The Digitally Encoded Security System (D.E.S.S.) helps protect the Can-Am roadster from theft or other unauthorized use. The vehicle will not start unless the rider uses the correctly coded electronic key.
Proven Rotax Engine
998cc V-twin Rota x engine - Over the past 50 years, more than 6 million Rotax® engines have been built, powering the world’s most impressive on- and off-road machines. Every Can-Am roadster is equipped with a 998cc V-Twin Rotax engine calibrated for sport or touring riding. Touring engines offer cruise control and electronic throttle control.
US MSRP Price: $16,499 USD
- Manufacturer BRP-Rotax
- Type 998cc Rotax V-twin engine
- Bore & stroke 3.82 in. x 2.68 in. (97 mm x 68 mm)
- Injection Multi-point EFI system with 2.24 in. (57 mm) throttle body
- Power 106 hp (79 KW) @ 8500 RPM
- Torque 77 lb.-ft. (104 Nm) @ 6250 RPM
- Transmissions 5-speed manual (SM5) with reverse (not available with Pearl White) OR 5-speed semi-automatic (SE5) with reverse
- Magneto 500 watts
- Starter Electric
- Battery 12 volts / 21 amps/hour, sealed maintenance-free
- Frame SST Spyder
- Front suspension Double A-arm with anti-roll bar
- Front suspension travel 5.7 in. (145 mm)
- Rear suspension Swing-arm with monoshock
- Rear suspension travel 5.7 in. (145 mm)
- Brake type Foot-activated hydraulic 3-wheel braking system
- Front brakes 4-piston calipers with (250 mm x 6 mm) discs
- Rear brake Single-piston sliding pins caliper with (250 mm x 6 mm) disc
- EBD Electronic Brake Distribution
- Parking brake Foot-activated, engages rear caliper
- Front tires 165 / 65 R14
- Rear tire 225 / 50 R15
- Front wheels Aluminum 3-spoke Metallic Silver, 14 x 5 in. (355 mm x 127 mm)
- Rear wheel Aluminum Metallic Silver, 15 x 7 in. (381 mm x 178 mm)
SAFETY & SECURITY
- VSS Vehicle Stability System
- SCS Stability Control System
- TCS Traction Control System
- ABS Anti-lock Braking System
- DESS Digitally Encoded Security System
- DPS Dynamic Power Steering
- L x W x H 105 x 59.3 x 45.1 in. (2,667 x 1,506 x 1,145 mm)
- Wheel base 68 in. (1,727 mm)
- Seat height 29 in. (737 mm)
- Ground clearance 4.5 in. (115 mm)
- Dry weight 699 lb. (317 kg)
- Front storage capacity 12 US gal. (44 L)
- Maximum vehicle load 440 lb. (200 kg)
- Fuel capacity 6.6 US gal. (25 L)
- Instrumentation Multi-function LCD/analog gauge: digital speedometer, tachometer,
- odometer, trip & hour meters, gear position, temperature,
- engine lights, electronic fuel gauge, clock
- Lighting 2 halogen headlamps (60W)
- Windshield Sport
- Warranty 2 years
- Transmissions available SM5 – 5-speed manual with reverse (not available with Pearl White) OR
- SE5 – 5-speed semi-automatic with reverse